Wings As Eagles: Sometime I truly wonder

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sometime I truly wonder

At times my mind becomes so preoccupied with things I seem to forget daily habits. Dad eats breakfast earlier than us girls do so he can get outside and get started working on the farm. It has been Mom's habit in past years to set out Dad's breakfast the night before and then it would be ready the next morning.

We have continued doing the same thing that Mom has done for years. Everyday Dad has something different for breakfast. So Friday night I was supposed to get out a sausage patty and english muffin out of the freezer for Saturday breakfast.

I woke up Saturday morning and my first thought was, "I forgot to get out Dad's breakfast!" Dad knows what's for breakfast every morning just by looking at the menu I type up each week, but I knew he wouldn't be able to find the sausage or the english muffin buried in the freezer. I kinda panicked and wondered what he had eaten.

Then the thought crossed my mind that he probably just ate cereal or granola (normally that is Tuesday morning) since he knows where that is. I laid my head back down and then suddenly thought, "But there isn't any milk in the refrigerator!" None of us except Dad like milk, so we don't use it very much except in casseroles and the little bit Dad uses for breakfast. And it just happened that I had used the last little bit the day before.

I knew he wouldn't have made oatmeal or waffles (Wednesday's and Friday's breakfast) because of the lack of milk. He couldn't have eaten doughnuts (Thursday morning's breakfast) because I keep those in the freezer downstairs and he wouldn't have known where to find them.

So, I kept thinking, "What did he eat for breakfast?" I knew there were a couple bananas, so he much have eaten yogurt and a banana (Monday's breakfast).

But when I went upstairs in the kitchen and looked in the fridge, I remembered that we had finished the last container of yogurt several days ago and I had forgotten to put it on the grocery list for Jena the previous Wednesday when she went shopping.

So, what did he eat? I found the cover off the toaster, so I suspected he found some bread in the freezer and had toast. When I asked him later if he had finally found something for breakfast, he just smiled and said yes. He didn't seem to mind, but in my mind I could just see him searching around for something to eat!

It just so happens that the day I forgot to set breakfast out was the same time we were out of milk, yogurt and the one breakfast that Dad wouldn't know where to find in the freezer! Sometime I truly wonder where my mind has wondered off to... :)

5 comments:

  1. lol, serena, ohmyword, you're allowed to forget once in a while. ;) you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, we all forget. It's called having to too much on your mind or trying to be superhuman when we are only human.

    Your Dad is an ambultory adult who has the capacity to take care of himself and make informed choices. Don't beat yourself up.

    We all forget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm not!! It was just kinda funny how it turned out that morning! Plus, Dad can take care of himself - he made it for 2 weeks without us! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol!! You poor thing! :) That's so funny. I can't believe how organized you are! :O (That being in reference to not only this post, but also your pre-camp posts. :))

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I feel as though my day is very disorganized no matter how orderly I try to be! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)