Wings As Eagles: More and more shelves...

Sunday, September 21, 2008

More and more shelves...

Let's see....where did I leave off from my last post??? Oh, yes, I finished the freezer room and had started on the den. Putting together the large shelving units (72"h x 48"w x 24"d) is a much bigger task than the smaller ones.

Part of the difficulty in organizing the den is that it is so full of all of my totes, that it takes a while to move everything out before I can even start moving the shelves in. And meanwhile, the entire basement is a wreck.

I didn't think I would be able to get all the shelves put together yesterday because according to my calculations below, there's just not enough hours in the day. And frankly, my legs and arms would give out as well.

Here's what I had figured:
the large shelves-
I have to make 6 trips up and down the stairs to get them from the garage to the basement. Then it takes 1 1/2 hours to get it put together, moved into place and wooden shelves set in. I have four left to put in the den - 6 hours.
the small shelves-
I have to make 4 trips up and down the stairs and then it takes an hour to put one together, in place and shelves in. I have four to put in the den - 4 hours.

That's a total of 10 hours and that doesn't count the moving everything around to get to the area to put in the shelves. Yeah, I had a very big goal, one I was confident I couldn't complete in one day. But I wanted to give it a try...

These are the majority of my totes I have stacked in my storage area. They are filled with fabric pieces I have bought over the years plus picture frames, misc. notions and other stuff. Believe it or not, there are 32 of the large ones....there two rows plus there in the back, stacked 4-5 high. It's always been quite a challenge to get something out of the one of bottom of the stack! :)

Yes, there is some empty space back there...even the fireplace we never use downstairs. And of course since I'm moving everything, I'm also cleaning everything while I'm at it.

Getting the large unit in place. I put those little furniture movers under the legs and shove it into place. Works well!

Once I get it set in place, I then hammer all the sides to be sure they are snug into the fitting holes and are very secure.

Then I put in the wooden shelves. That can be quite a challenge, since the metal pieces are already together. But with a bit of maneuvering and twisting around, it finally fits!

I also put some plastic cups under the metal uprights so it doesn't make such an indention in the carpet and helps protect it.

Finally the first back row of shelving in and even some totes loaded on it. I just put those on to see how they would fit, but I know I will rearrange as I need to, getting everything where I want it.

The rest of this area will be the same rows of shelving just like the one above....there's a fair amount of space there! It's been a while since I've seen this room look that empty.

I was able to get all the units up and in place - all except for one small one. I was more than pleased!!! Thrilled!!! Excited!!! About 4:00 I was ready to quit, but just kept pushing, determined to get as many done as I could!

By the time 8:30 rolled around last night, my body was hurting, I was exhausted and my mind was wondering what in the world I got myself into. It will so wonderful when it is complete and finished, but I think it will take a few weeks for my body to recover.

Once the shelves are all up, I have to get everything into place and where I want it. But that is the part I enjoy doing - the organzing. It's the building part that's the hard part and that's just about complete.

My goal this week (among other things): organize my storage room!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! When you meant 'large' shelves you weren't kidding!! But seeing some of your totes on the shelves makes that room really look organized, and I know you haven't finished yet. I LOVE organizing things but, like you, I don't particularly enjoy the construction aspect of it. You're doing a wonderful job, and it's going to look marvelous when you get through!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)