Wings As Eagles: Studying the Book of Nehemiah

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Studying the Book of Nehemiah

I started studying the book of Nehemiah a couple weeks ago for several reasons. (1) - The Bible lessons at camp this year that I am teaching are on Nehemiah and I'm not too familiar with that book. (2) - I'm trying to stay off my computer late at night. I sit in front of a computer for most of the day, so I really don't need to be on it until 11:00 or 12:00 at night. Plus, what a better way to end the day, but studying God's Word!

I've learned lots of things I didn't know already and I've only been through the first couple of chapters. The book is not very long, only 13 chapters with Ezra being the author. Nehemiah was written after Esther and Daniel and is one of the two last revelations (Malachi is the other) from God to Israel before the New Testament. The main theme of the book is describing Nehemiah's return of the Jews to Jerusalem to rebuild the wall around the city.

Here's a summary of the first chapter: Nehemiah was a famous cupbearer living in the land of Persia and the Persian king's trusted confidant. Although living in Persia, he heard of Jerusalem's broken walls, burned gates and grieving survivors and he was greatly distressed because he knew of Jerusalem's significance to God. He confessed the sins of himself and his people (the Jews) before God and asked for forgiveness for breaking God's commandments, statues and ordinances that He had given to the people. He prayed and fasted for days.

Nehemiah's desire was to return with some of his fellow people to Jerusalem to rebuild the wall and restore God's law in the hearts of the people. He prayed for wisdom and strength, knowing that he would only be able to accomplish this task through the Lord's help. Nehemiah realized his own ability was useless unless he humbled himself before God, asking for His help in rebuilding the wall.

It's easy to ask for God's guidance and wisdom in the big decisions that come up. But even in the little day to day things, I am nothing without the Lord. I often get so involved in the little details of my business, daily emails I write, phone calls I make and what I am doing during the day, that I forget to ask God for guidance and wisdom in the tasks I am daily doing. Even the small, seemingly unimportant ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)