Wings As Eagles: More bytes of data

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

More bytes of data

With all the Internet and computer work I do, I have been needing a new computer, but hesitated to buy another one, not knowing quite sure what I wanted to do.

I have always had a laptop because I needed something to take with me to quilting classes, business trips and vacations. One of the advantages of owning an online business is that it can go with you wherever you go.

The Fujitsu laptop I've had for almost 3 years is beginning to show its old age and the poor thing has been dropped, lugged everywhere, bumped into, updated and who knows what else. I've not had an ounce of trouble with it and it has done what I needed it to do. But it's time to update, because if something happened to it; let's just say I would be in the complete and total depths of despair!!! (Krissa, recognize that phrase????)

I've been looking online at computers, checking prices especially now since the holiday season usually offers some pretty good deals. I decided to go with a Dell desktop computer to keep downstairs in my office/sewing room to keep all my business data on and everything else I have.

So far I have loved it, but have spent the last couple of days transferring all my data from my old laptop to my new desktop. Plus I had to install a firewall card for uploading from my video camera, wireless networking port for connecting to our home network and all the extra stuff.

I really love doing it as I love doing anything on computers, but it does take time. I'm now at the point that I am doing half of my business work on the desktop and half on the laptop. The only dilemma I now have is that I would like to have all the info on my desktop available and constantly updated to my laptop....I'm still investigating the best way to make that happen.

I have them networked together here at home so I can access all the computers on our network from any computer, but when I'm away from home, I don't have that option unless I have an Internet network worked out or continue to update my portable hard drive as I have been doing in the past.

Oh.....the difficulties keeping up with technology......but it's worth every bit of it! Although yesterday when I was getting cables sorted into multiple ports, network cards installed and the printer and fax to working, it was a little frustrating! Getting all the devices talking to each other can be a nightmare!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)