Wings As Eagles: No watch, a lost cell phone and not much accomplished...

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

No watch, a lost cell phone and not much accomplished...

Yep, that title just about sums up my day. It all began in the morning......

I woke up a little later than I had planned. I had a bunch of things planned to do today, so I had decided to get started on the day a little earlier than planned, which didn't happen.

I started a load of laundry first thing in the morning and then headed downstairs to answer a few business emails and then get started mailing out packages. I had more than normal to send out today, since yesterday was President's day and there was no mail delivery.

So I'm headed downstairs without a watch. Let me just mention that I can hardly function without a watch. I schedule and time myself during the day, using my watch to keep track of what time it is and that I only have so many minutes left to finish this certain task. But the battery in my watch gave out a few days ago and so I was without one today.

Time just flew by as I was printing shipping labels, filling orders and getting them in the mail. My goal is to have everything ready to ship by 10 or 11 am, but that didn't happen. About 11:30 I had to quit and return Snickers (the male cat we've had at our house for a couple of weeks, hoping Skittles will have a litter of kittens in a couple months!) to his owner who lives about 20 minutes away.

Thankfully Jena sometime in the morning threw the load of laundry in the dryer and fixed lunch for Dad while I was out on the road with a screaming cat in the backseat (but, that's a whole other story:)).

So when I returned home after 12:30, I finished packing up my packages, loaded everything in the car and drove to the post office (5 miles away) to get everything mailed. On the way home I looked at the clock in the car which said 1:30 and started thinking about what else I needed to get done before the day was over.

I drive into the garage, unload my now empty baskets and walk into the kitchen, reading my mail I picked up from the post office. And then I realized that my phone is no longer in my pocket.

Not too concerned at the moment, I look in the empty baskets, glance about the kitchen, check the car and take a peek downstairs to see if I left it down there. After about 15 minutes of light searching, I still could not figure out where it was. And yes, I did check my purse and it wasn't hiding in there either.

I still was not too concerned, thinking that I laid it down on the counter at the post office and didn't pick it up. Thankfully we have a little post office and there's only maybe 40 or 50 square feet in the lobby where it could be. I was sure that was where it was until I called my wonderful postmaster and she said it wasn't there. wasn't there?!?!

Then my concern level turned into a panic. I grabbed the home phone, dialed my number and start walking through the house, outside to the mailbox, in the car, everywhere I had been in the last few hours, hoping to hear my phone ringing. Nothing.

I called the post office again, asking if she heard any extra music that just might be a cell phone. No. I called Dad, thinking maybe he grabbed my phone instead of his, since we have the same model. Nope.

I was desperate. I was getting more and more concerned that I was really losing my mind, because, you know, my phone and computer and about the two things I just can't live without! :)

I finally stopped and just prayed, "Lord, I don't know where my phone is. I've looked everywhere I can think of and have no idea where else to look. Help me to think of where I could have put it or dropped it. You know I have lots to do today and looking for my cell phone is not one of them. So help me to find it quickly."

I folded the laundry I had started earlier that morning, all the while thinking about where my phone could be. After the laundry was finished, I sat down and began to go back over my day, thinking where I had been, the last time I looked at my phone, etc. Finally I decided to go back to the post office and look inside and outside. Maybe I dropped it in the street when I got out of the car. The postmaster, Karla, had already looked around inside, but perhaps it was outdoors.

I drive up to the post office, parking away from the area where I was earlier in the day. I'm sure it looked pretty ridiculous, this person standing in the street, looking at the ground, cell phone in one hand ringing another cell phone. Thank goodness it's a itty, bitty town with hardly any traffic!

After a couple rings, I finally heard it and followed the sound to the grassy area to one side of the post office. Hip, hip, hooray!! What a relief! It felt like a huge load had been lifted off my shoulders! Found it - thank you, Lord! Thank you that it wasn't in the street where I had just seen two semi trucks drive by. Thank you that it wasn't freezing cold as I was outside looking around! Thank you that you helped me find it!

With that, I am driving home, looking at the clock, seeing that it is almost 4 pm. And knowing that I'm not going to get everything done today that I had planned. I spent over two hours looking for a little thing that's so very valuable - a cell phone.

And so why am I now typing here instead of writing some posts for this blog which is what I should be doing? Good question....with that I better quit wrap up here and see if I can get another thing or two done tonight! :)


  1. you left out all the funny parts of that story!!

  2. Wow! What a day!! I'm glad you got your phone back! I hate it when I lose something like that!



I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)