Wings As Eagles: The tongue carries responsiblity with it!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

The tongue carries responsiblity with it!

In our family devotions every evening, Dad has been reading from James and last week we talked about James 3 - the untamable tongue.

James 3:1, "My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment." I am so blessed and privileged to teach my class of little ones each Sunday morning, but also with that joy comes responsibility. What I teach, my words, my actions are all being observed and copied; whether I realize it or not.

One of my frequent prayers every week is that the Lord will help me to teach His Word accurately and truthfully. God will and does hold me accountable for what I teach, what I say and the example I give to those I am teaching. God gives us as teachers a greater responsibility to use Scripture correctly and to teach what is accurate. And not only in what we teach, but also how we act. Not only should we be teaching it; we should also be doing it.

My tongue and the words I use can be used in the right way or the wrong way. James 3:8-9, "But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude (likeness) of God." So true! Is everything I say going to be perfect and correct? No, I'm not perfect. I sin; I make mistakes daily. But only through God's grace and help every Sunday, can I teach what He desires me to.

Teaching is not just something that I get up every Sunday morning, read my lesson material and start teaching when the kids arrive. No, I think about, study and review my lesson material. I bring Scripture into the text and interweave something that the kids can do and implement into their lives the following week that relates back to the Bible story.

It's natural for kids, especially younger ones to look up to their parents, teachers and those around them. Naturally they look up to those people and try to imitate and do what they do. I did/do the same thing. I've seen and experienced that in teaching at camp and Sunday School and it really makes me stop and evaluate what I am doing. Am I being a godly example to those who are watching me? Can they see Christ's love through me? Am I elevating Jesus Christ and not myself?

I watch my Dad every week prepare and study for the class he teaches every Sunday. I'm amazed at the time and preparation he puts in every week to dig into the Scripture, search out the context of verses and relate the passage he's teaching to other Scripture references. It's time consuming. It takes work every week. But, oh, it's so worth it to be used by God and letting Him speak through you to others each week! I so enjoy my class of little ones every Sunday and am blessed that God has given me the opportunity to share God's Word with them.

The favorite memory verse my class loves is Psalm 34:13, "Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies." I have to admit the main reason they love to review this verse is because we sing it and hold our tongues as we do. (Hide'Em in Your Heart Scripture Memory by Steve Green.) Challenging and the kids love it! But it's also an excellent reminder that what I say can be a blessing or damaging to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)