Wings As Eagles: I FINALLY found it - the ONE Beef & Noodles recipe!

Friday, September 12, 2008

I FINALLY found it - the ONE Beef & Noodles recipe!

What exactly? I've been searching for the perfect recipe containing wide egg noodles and hamburger with a yummy flavor to it. When Mom passed away almost two years ago (In some ways, it's hard to believe it's almost been two years!), someone brought us a huge bowl of beef and noodles and it was exceptionally good!

At the time we had so much food delivered to us, that I kept some out and put the rest in the freezer. Several weeks later when I pulled that dish out of the freezer, I was again reminded how good it was and determined to scour my recipe books looking for it.

In the past two years, I've tried several recipes and made up several of my own. In the back of my mind, I've always kept that dish in mind as I look online and through recipe books. They have all been good, but it hasn't been THE ONE until today!

Last night as I was looking at the Beef and Noodle recipe and getting things out of the freezer to thaw, I really had forgotten about finding that certain one. Even as I was chopping the meat, adding spices and spooning in the noodles this morning, it didn't hit me that this might be the one.

Finally I tasted the noodles to see if they were done and everything else tasted ok - and guess what!!! I FOUND IT!!!! THIS IS IT!!!!

Of course, I changed a few things in the recipe, but that yummy flavor it still there. And it's so simple and easy! I did go ahead and use the chopped steak, but I think I would prefer crumbled hamburger just because of the texture.


Beef & Noodles


1 pound beef round steak (or can use hamburger)
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/4 cup chopped onion (simple with my frozen chopped onions)
1 tsp garlic powder
3 cups beef broth
1 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 ounces wide egg noodles

Cut meat into 3/4" cubes. In a large saucepan brown half of the coated meat in hot oil. Remove from saucepan. Brown the remaining meat with the onion and garlic, adding more oil, if necessary. Drain off fat. Return all meat to the saucepan.

Stir in the broth, basil and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until meat is tender.

Stir noodles into broth mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until noodles are tender. Makes 4-6 servings.


Then in addition to that, I tried baking some bread sticks. This is only the first batch, so I'm going to try some different things to make them better. Dad said they tasted good, but I thought they needed a little more flavor. I will probably be serving bread sticks on a regular basis the next several weeks, since I will be tweaking the recipe to find THE PERFECT ONE! :)

1 comment:

  1. Those breadsticks look soo yummy! (The beef and noodles looks good too!)

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)